Politically I look at that and say ‘That’s wrong.’ And its not a Mormon thing, its a secular position that says you know what? I was wrong. We should have a society, a Prohibition on abortion.
I find it almost remarkable for a black man to say ‘now we are going to decide who are people and who are not people.’
—Rick Santorum On President Obama’s pro-choice stance
- He doesn’t believe in the separation of church and state.
- He believes abortion should be illegal.
- He doesn’t support the repeal of DoMA and didn’t support the repeal of DADT.
- He doesn’t support putting more money into inner-city schools, but does support vouchers for religious schools.
- He believes creationism should be taught alongside evolution in public schools.
- He doesn’t believe HIV causes AIDS.
- While he doesn’t support a federal ban on gay marriage, he also doesn’t support a federal law legalizing gay marriage. Some see this as a states’ rights issue, and this is how he frames it, but he does support other federal legalization movements (drugs, for example).
- His newsletter spouted horrible racist content for twenty years. He denies writing any of it, but if he allowed this content to go out under his name, he either approved it or was so ignorant of both the type of people he associates with and the type of content going under his name that he shouldn’t be trusted to run anything.
- He believes in reinstating the gold standard, which most economists believe was one of the major causes of several financial crises during the early part of the 20th Century, including the Great Depression.
- He believes in free market capitalism.
- He wants to get rid of Affirmative Action.
- He is a frequent guest on the Alex Jones radio show. Alex Jones is a government-hating conspiracy theorist nutter. If you don’t know who Alex Jones is, then Google him.
- Any of these items should keep a sane liberal from voting for Ron Paul.
His stance on drugs and wars win him a lot of liberal fans, but only if they don’t look at literally anything else he stands for.